Our gifts for engineer’s series has been well received over the past few days. We are therefore delighted to continue on what we believe is a noble cause to rescue our fellow engineers from the embarrassing moments where one is forced to pretend that a particular gift is good.
As we pointed out before, engineers are peculiar people with unique tastes in products. We like complexity and dislike anything petty and unchallenging. Our previous entries on this topic have provided few products that any engineer would enjoy as a gift. This one focuses on electronics, which any engineer would appreciate. For electronics, the key is functionality and durability. Ask any engineer around you how many times they took apart electronics just to see how they work and you will see why we need something that actually plays an important function in our busy and demanding lifestyle.
The following electronics will be ideal for any engineer are they are durably and highly functional.
Apple iPad X10LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi, White) NEWEST MODEL.Built-In Lithium-Polymer Providing up to 10 Hours per Charge (25Wh).Ports: 1x Docking, Audio: 1x 1/8 Inch (3.5 mm) Headphone, 1x Integrated Speaker, 1x Integrated Microphone.What’s in the box: Apple 16GB iPad 2 with Wi-Fi (White), Dock Connector to USB Cable, 10W Power Adapter, Documentation and 1-Year Limited Warranty.
- Sunlight-readable, 5-inch backlit TFT color touchscreen display with 480 x 272 WQVGA pixel resolution
- Preloaded City Navigator® NT North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Free lifetime map and traffic updates for the most up-to-date maps, POIs, and navigation info, along with constantly updated traffic information
- Advanced navigation features including voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions, lane assist with junction view, fuel-saving ecoRoute
- Includes travel tools such as JPEG picture viewer, world travel clock, currency/measurement converters, calculator and more
If you’re If you’re purchasing a device primarily for reading, an important consideration is the screen technology. Unlike devices with LCD screens, Kindle e-readers use the latest generation of Electronic Ink (“E Ink”) technology – E Ink Pearl – designed specifically to deliver clearer, sharper text that makes reading for extended periods of time more comfortable. Here are some of the advantages to reading on an E Ink device:purchasing a device primarily for reading, an important consideration is the screen technology. Unlike devices with LCD screens, Kindle e-readers use the latest generation of Electronic Ink (“E Ink”) technology – E Ink Pearl – designed specifically to deliver clearer, sharper text that makes reading for extended periods of time more comfortable. Here are some of the advantages to reading on an E Ink device:
- It has one-year limited warranty.
- It supports AAC, Protected AAC (iTunes Store), MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV audio formats, H.264, MPEG-4 and Motion JPEG video codecs in M4V, MP4, MOV and AVI formats.
- It has up to 40 hours of audio playback or 7 hours of video playback on a single charge.
- iPod touch has 32 GB capacity for about 8,000 songs, 40,000 photos, or 40 hours of video.
- It has 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display with 960-by-640-pixel resolution (326 pixels per inch).
- Canon’s HS SYSTEM with a 12.1 MP CMOS and DIGIC 4 Image Processor improves shooting in low-light situations without the need for a flash and
- Full 1080p HD Video for exceptional quality and keep footage stabilized with Dynamic IS.
- Get high-speed shooting in a point-and-shoot camera: High-speed Burst Mode captures 8.2fps and
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on 32 predefined shooting situations.
- 4x Optical Zoom with a Wide-Angle lens (28-112mm) Optical Image Stabilizer and a 3.0-inch PureColor System LCD.
- Lowers noise levels at higher ISO settings.
- Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow slow motion playback.